Implants are a popular tooth-replacement option because they look and feel completely like natural teeth, but they are just as easy to look after too.
Here at Calm and Gentle Dental, we use the latest technology and materials to ensure that your implant treatment is second-to-none.
Pairing our 98% implant success rate, with our knowledge and expertise, we can assure you that you will be in the best of hands at every stage of your treatment.
Call us today on 01732 678 414 to book an appointment.
What's on this page...
Treat your implant like a real tooth
Though your implant is not a real tooth, and cannot decay, cleaning implants is just as important as cleaning your natural teeth.
Both natural teeth and implants rely on healthy surrounding gum tissues for support and strength. Read more about implants.
Plaque can present itself on implants too and needs to be removed daily to maintain fresh breath and a healthy smile.
If left unremoved, plaque buildup around the implant can cause an infection called peri-implantitis. However, removing daily plaque build-up, and keeping your teeth healthy is very easy.
If maintained properly, implants can last as long as a natural tooth!
Cleaning your implant after surgery
In the first few weeks following implant surgery, it is recommended that you use a very soft toothbrush to avoid putting extra strain on the implant site, which may be sensitive and tender.
If your prosthetic implant has not yet been placed, then it is best to avoid the area until it is fully healed.
Be careful that you clean the surrounding teeth, as plaque can build up around the site, which may delay healing time, or irritate the area.
After your procedure, your dental specialist will advise you on how best to clean the implant site and surrounding area, depending on your individual treatment type.
Learn more about the implant procedure.
Call us on 01732 678 414 for advice at any point.
Maintaining your single implant
Maintaining your implants is easy and straightforward, and with these tips, you will keep them gleaming:
- Clean your implants and teeth at least twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush
- Use a low-abrasive toothpaste
- Brush under and around the implant tooth
- Using an interdental brush, clean areas in between the teeth and places that are hard to reach
- Floss daily where possible
- Use a water pick (oral irrigator)
- Visit a hygienist every 3 months
While cleaning your All-on-4 implant bridge is slightly more complex than a single implant, it is still easily done.
Maintaining your dental bridge should prioritise:
- Clearing any food from the bridge
- Get rid of bacteria on and under the bridge
- Prevent bacteria from collecting and hardening on and under the bridge
In order to keep these three priorities, it is important to keep to the following cleaning tips:
- Use super floss to clean under the bridge after every meal
- Use an oral irrigator to deepen cleaning on and underneath the bridge
- Use an electric toothbrush to clean at least twice a day
- Brush your tongue and cheeks to help clear bacteria and mouth odours
- Organise a hygienist appointment every 3 months for a professional clean
Visiting a hygienist will ensure that your teeth and mouth receives a deeper clean every 3 months.
One of our expert hygienists will also be able to advise you on the best way to clean your implants, provide you with the right cleaning products and advise you on any concerns or issues you may be having.
Book a hygienist appointment with us today.
Why choose us?
Here at Calm and Gentle Dental Care, our patients are our number one priority.
Our team of friendly experts use the latest technology to ensure that your treatment with us is individualised and special.
By pairing our clinical excellence with our exceptional customer service, you can rest assured that whatever your oral needs and requirements, you will receive the best treatment.
Call us today on 01732 678 414.