Do you have missing teeth? Are you looking for affordable and effective ways to close the gaps and improve your oral health and appearance?
Here at Calm & Gentle Dental Care, we understand the impact and consequences of missing teeth better than most.
Often recommending powerful treatments like dental implants and bridges, our main aim is to restore the mouth’s functionality and return the oral condition back to a healthy state.
When patients have missing teeth, dental bridges are commonly used to close the gap.
A dental bridge is a false tooth, which is secured into place by the abutment teeth on either side of the gap.
Pontics can be made from a variety of materials including gold, porcelain and composite – porcelain of which tends to be the most recommended as it looks the most natural and blends well with existing surrounding teeth.
What's on this page...
Types of bridges:
Missing teeth can drastically affect patients in a number of ways, bridges are used to combat all these issues by restoring your smile and repairing your ability to speak and chew correctly.
- Maryland: Use two abutment teeth on each side of the gap using a framework (metal or porcelain) which is bonded to the back of the abutment teeth
- Implant-supported: Uses dental implants instead of crowns or frameworks. One implant will be used per missing tooth, which is used to keep the bridge in place. The strongest and most reliable system.
- Traditional: A false tooth held in place by crowns which have been cemented on to adjoining teeth
- Cantilever: Held in place by one dental crown which uses only one abutment tooth
Benefits of Bridges
- Repairs your smile
- Retains the shape of your face
- Allows the biting force to be distributed properly
- Prevents further tooth loss and misaligned issues
- Encourages bone health
- Closes gaps and enhances your appearance
- More comfortable than dentures
The Bridge process: Completed in two appointments
- The first visit: Abutment teeth are prepared, which involves the contouring of the teeth to make room for the crown. As crowns are caps that are placed over the tooth, tooth shaping will be required for it to fit securely. Impressions of your teeth will be hen made, which will act as a model of which the bridge, pontic and crown will be made. To protect the exposed area, the dentist will provide you with a temporary bridge whilst the crowns are made in the lab.
- Your second appointment: The temporary bridge is removed, and the new porcelain or metal bridge will be adjusted as necessary to ensure the perfect fit. You may be required to book in for a further check-up appointments to make sure everything is working correctly – however, this varies from patient to patient.
Call 01732 678 414.
Bridges vs implants
- Will need replacing every five to fifteen years
- Very natural-looking, however, they may be visible behind or between the replacement teeth. Crowns when not applied properly can also look obvious.
- A more affordable solution for patients on a budget for replacing multiple missing teeth in one go.
- Takes a few weeks to complete
- Does not provide any additional benefits to jawbone restoration.
- A permanent solution which can last a lifetime
- As they are secured tightly to the jawbone, they are able to withstand the same pressure as regular teeth, which makes them very strong and durable.
- Overall, implants are less noticeable because they are embedded below the gum.
- To replace multiple missing teeth with an implant, you will need one for each tooth unless considering the all-on-four treatment, this means the procedure will cost more than bridges but is worth it when you take into consideration the additional benefits.
- Can take a few months as you wait for the implant to fuse with the jawbone.
- More stable provides support for adjacent teeth and promotes a stronger oral foundation and jawbone growth.
Learn more about dental implants here.
I have had implants fitted and from start, to finish the whole process has been great. The staff are friendly and helpful. Peter carried out my treatment very good and calming. I would recommend this practice to anyone. – Barry W.
To close gaps in your mouth and replace missing teeth today choose Calm & Gentle Dental Care, who specialise in implantology and restorative dentistry options and treatments.